Date - 29/09/2017 - 06/10/2017
9:45 am - 12:45 pm
Lapworth Village Hall, Lapworth
Duration – 6 hours split over 2 sessions
This workshop will run on 2 dates. You must be able to attend both dates to complete the workshop.
Friday 29/9/17 0945-1245 – 3 hours
Friday 6/10/17 0945-1245 – 3 hours
This workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread the machine and bobbin. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available.
Come and learn how to sew with knit/jersey fabrics and make the perfect knit top/dress.
“Simple to sew, Coco is easy fitting, with no fiddly fastenings. The classic design features boat neckline, choice of top or dress length, ¾ or long sleeves, side splits on the top version, optional sixties-style funnel roll neck, rolled cuffs and patch pockets”.
You will learn:
- How to take essential body measurements and select your pattern size
- How to identify pattern pieces required
- How to lengthen/shorten pattern pieces if required
- How to accurately cut out pattern pieces
- How to identify the grainline of the fabric and lay out pattern pieces correctly
- How to cut stretch fabric accurately
- Top tips on how to sew with stretch fabric on a regular sewing machine
- How to stabilise necklines and hems on stretch garments
- How to top stitch using a twin needle
What is included:
- Full individual use of Janome sewing machines
- Use of sewing tools
- Selection of sewing threads
- Full tuition to make your garment
- Paper pattern and step by step instruction booklet worth £12.50
You will need to bring:
- Fabric : – 2.3m x 150cm wide i.e. if the fabric is 150cm wide you will need a maximum of 2.3m
or 3m x 115cm wide i.e. if the fabric is 115cm wide you will need a maximum of 3m
- Matching thread – there will be a selection of threads available for you to use but feel free to bring your own if you prefer.
Medium weight knit fabric with very little stretch.
Look out for interlock knit, double-knit, ponte di roma, or feel the fabric to check it’s not too fine or stretchy.
Please give me a call if you are in any doubt about fabric choices or suggestions of where to buy from.
It is recommeded to pre wash your fabric before the workshop as it is likely to shrink a little in the first wash.
Cost £60 – for the 2 sessions.
(This includes a paper pattern worth £12.50 to use in the class and take home with you to use again)
“I absolutely love the Coco pattern. The Coco top was the first jersey garment I made and it is a really great pattern for those starting out in dressmaking. Don’t be put off by working with stretchy fabrics – its not as hard as you might think. I could wear a Coco every day literally – they are so comfortable! I have made 1 top and 3 dresses and have another dress in the pipeline. The dress is perfect over tights with boots in the Winter or choose a Spring/Summer print and wear with pumps. Make sure you don’t get fabric that is too stretchy – the dress in particular needs to have enough weight in it to hold the A line shape. Also if you don’t want to stress about matching up stripes/patterns then choose a plain fabric or a pattern with small print!”
Parts of descriptive text and images from Tilly and The Buttons with permission.
Bookings are closed for this workshop.
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.