Date - 01/05/2020 - 22/05/2020
10:30 am - 1:30 pm
Alvechurch Village hall, Alvechurch
Learn to sew a simple sleeveless top – 3 week course
Duration – 3 weeks
Dates and times:
This is a 3 week course aimed at those who are familiar with a sewing machine and have made a few projects but not necessarily a garment as this is an ideal project for a beginner dressmaker. You must be able to wind a bobbin, thread the machine and sew basic stitches. Throughout the 3 weeks you will learn how to measure yourself accurately, how to read a sewing pattern and all the skills needed to make a simple sleeveless top. The 3 week course aims to introduce you to dressmaking using a commercial sewing pattern, build your confidence in using a sewing machine and develop and progress your skills. Take the time over a 3 week period to practise techniques, hone skills, ask questions and gain feedback and most importantly enjoy the process.
Using Simplicity 8061 you will make view B (bottom right hand top on the pattern envelope). This is a classic pattern and is extremely versatile when combined with different fabric choices. It would work equally well as a casual top or work wear.
You will learn:
- How to measure yourself accurately
- How to select the right size or sizes to cut out
- How to read a commercial sewing pattern
- How to stay stitch
- How to sew and press bust darts
- How to attach neck and armhole facings to a garment
- How to sew under stitching
- How to finish off seams neatly
- How to make a thread chain and sew a button on neatly
- Janome sewing machines and basic sewing tools provided to use
- Simplicity 8061 pattern worth £10.00. This will allow you to make the other versions within the pattern at home too.
What you need to bring:
- Fabric. You will be advised on how much fabric to bring and what sort of fabric to choose during the course
- If your fabric is 45″ or 115cm wide, you will need 1.5m of fabric
- If your fabric is 60″ or 150cm wide, you will need 1.1m of fabric
- Good quality matching thread
- One 3/8″ button
Pattern sizing (do not compare to high street sizes):
The smallest size of the pattern is –
and the largest size is –
**This course needs a minimum of 3 people to run.**
Maximum of 6 spaces.
You need to be able to attend all 3 sessions.
There may be slight variations to the course content in advance or along the way to enhance the quality of the experience and adapt to indiviual’s needs.
“I am really excited to introduce this new 3 week course. My very first garment I made myself was a simple sleevless top and was the reason why I fell in love with dressmaking You will learn some of the foundations of dressmaking so you will be able to transfer your learning into so many projects. It offers great value for money and a fantastic opportunity to learn, develop and progress their skills in a friendly, sociable setting. Learning together is so much fun and people really benefit from the support of others and sharing ideas.”
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.