Date - 14/03/2019 - 21/03/2019
6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Knowle Village Hall, Solihull
Duration – 6 hours split over 2 sessions
This workshop will run on 2 dates. You must be able to attend both dates to complete the workshop.
Thursday 14th March 2019 6.30-9.30pm – 3 hours
Thursday 21st March 2019 6.30-9.30pm – 3 hours
This workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread the machine and bobbin. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available. You should ideally have completed a few sewing projects but not necessarily garments.
Come and learn how to sew with knit/jersey fabrics and make the perfect relaxed sweatshirt or t-shirt
The Nora top is a modern style sweater or t-shirt that has a boxy, oversized shape with drop shoulders and wide sleeves.
You can choose from slouchy high neck or narrow neckband; short, elbow-length or extra-long sleeves; with longline hem or cropped and stepped deep hem with side splits.
All of the above options makes this top incredibly versatile and you can make it in a variety of fabrics – from jersey to sweater knits.
You will learn:
- How to take essential body measurements and select your pattern size
- How to identify pattern pieces required
- How to lengthen/shorten pattern pieces if required
- How to accurately cut out pattern pieces
- How to identify the grainline of the fabric and lay out pattern pieces correctly
- How to cut stretch fabric accurately
- Top tips on how to sew with stretch fabric on a regular sewing machine
- How to top stitch using a twin needle
What is included:
- Full individual use of Janome sewing machines
- Use of sewing tools
- Selection of sewing threads
- Full tuition to make your garment
- Ribbon to stabilise the shoulders
- Paper pattern and step by step instruction booklet worth £14.50
Smallest size: Bust 30″/waist 24″/hips 33″
Largest size: Bust 44″/waist 38″/hips 47″
You will need to bring:
- Fabric : –
- Short sleeve round neck version: 1.1m (1¼yd) x 150cm (60in) OR 1.9m (2 1/8 yd) x 115cm (45in) i.e. if your fabric is 150cm wide you will need 1.1m or of your fabric is 115cm wide you will need 1.9m and so on
Elbow-length sleeve round neck version: 1.3m (1½yd) x 150cm (60in) OR 2m (2¼yd) x 115cm (45in)
Long sleeve high neck version: 1.5m (1 5/8yd) x 150cm (60in) OR 2.5m (2 ¾yd) x 115cm (45in)
- Optional: 0.3m (3/8yd) ribbing for narrow neckband (or use same fabric as above)
- Matching thread
- N.B If you are tall you may need to get a little more fabric as you may need to lengthen it. If you choose a striped fabric then you may also need more fabric in order to pattern match.
Light- to medium-weight knit fabric with at least 10% crosswise stretch, such as jersey, interlock, ponte, sweater knits or stretch velvet.
Please give me a call if you are in any doubt about fabric choices or suggestions of where to buy from.
It is recommended to pre wash your fabric before the workshop as it is likely to shrink a little in the first wash. Air dry flat – do not hang or use pegs to avoid stretching the fabric.
Cost £60 – for the 2 sessions.
(This includes a paper pattern worth £14.50 to use in the class and take home with you to use again)
“The Nora top is my new favourite top!! I love the relaxed, slouchy shape, I can think of so many fabrics I’d like to use for this top – one in all the colours please!! It is a great pattern if you would like to try sewing with knits for the first time and with the different options available, once you’ve made one, it will hopefully give you the confidence to repeat the pattern, thereby making it even greater value for money.”
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at email@example.com or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.