Learn to sew a dress – Tilly and the Buttons Lotta dress
Learn to sew a dress in a day –
The Tilly and the Buttons Lotta dress
Learn some new dressmaking skills and make a fabulous dress! Spend a whole day making a dress that is perfect for all seasons.
This is a day course aimed at those who are familiar with a sewing machine and have made a few projects, preferably including one garment . You must be able to wind a bobbin, thread the machine and sew basic stitches.
Using the Tilly and the Buttons Lotta pattern you will choose and make a dress.
“Easy to make, with no fiddly bits, Lotta is a perfect dressmaking project for beginners, or a satisfyingly speedy sew for more experienced stitchers. It has a blousy bodice and flared skirt, cinched in with a narrow elasticated waistline.
Choose between knee-length or midi-length skirt, with grown-on short sleeves or bracelet-length drop shoulder sleeves, with optional deep patch pockets. To make it even more versatile, you can make this dress in either woven fabric or stretchy jersey.” (from Tilly and the Buttons website)
If you are at the beginning of your dressmaking journey you may wish to choose making your dress from woven fabric (non stretchy). If you have made garments from woven fabric before and would like to learn sewing with stretch then choose the version made from stretchy fabric.
What is included:
- Sewing pattern – Tilly and the Buttons Lotta dress pattern worth £15.50 – this will be sent to you in advance for a small amount of pre workshop preparation.
- Tea/coffee/soft drinks
- Use of Janome sewing machines
- All sewing tools provided for you to use in order to complete the project
What you need to supply:
- Lunch – please bring your own or feel free to pop into Knowle to get some lunch from the local shop/cafe.
- Materials for dress project to include fabric, matching thread, interfacing (for woven version), your waist measurement in 1cm wide elastic. You will be advised on how much fabric to bring and what sort of fabric to choose prior to the course.
- If you would like to use your overlocker too either finish off the seams on the woven dress or use it to sew up the stretchy version then feel free to bring it along.
- Suggested fabrics:
- Woven version – light to medium weight drapey fabric (nothing too stiff) like chambray, viscose, rayon, gingham, tencel, double guaze, cotton lawn, linen.
- Stretchy version: – single knit jersey, stretch velvet, light weight French Terry.
Full bust – 30″-48″
Waist – 24″-42″
Hips – 33″-51″
The pattern will be sent to you in advance of the class and there will be a small amount of pattern preparation prior to the class to enable more time on the day itself.
Maximum of 6 spaces.
“I absolutely love my 2 Lottta dresses, they are so comfy yet really stylish! It’s a great pattern as you can make it both in woven and stretchy fabrics so if you choose one version to do in the class you can always try the other version another time! The skirt is really swishy and the pockets on the woven version are extra deep! As the bodice and sleeves are one pattern piece, there are no fiddly bits inserting the sleeves which is a massive bonus!”
Saturday 20th May 2023 9.30am-4.30pm