Date - 04/10/2017 - 18/10/2017
9:45 am - 12:45 pm
Lapworth Village Hall, Lapworth
Duration – 6 hours split over 2 sessions
This workshop will run on 2 dates. You must be able to attend both dates to complete the workshop.
Wednesday 4/10/17 0945-1245 – 3 hours
Wednesday 18/10/17 0945-1245 – 3 hours
This workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread the machine and bobbin. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available.
Come and learn how to sew a dress.
“The Bettine dress features a blousy bodice with scoop neckline, kimono sleeves, turn-up cuffs, elasticated waistline, and tulip skirt. Simple to sew, with no fiddly darts, fastenings or set-in sleeves, the plain skirt version is the perfect first dress project for beginners. More experienced? Try the pocket skirt version and optional cuff tabs. A comfortable, wearable dress you’ll want to throw on everyday”.
You will learn:
- How to take essential body measurements and select your pattern size
- How to identify pattern pieces required
- How to lengthen/shorten pattern pieces if required
- How to accurately cut out pattern pieces
- How to identify the grainline of the fabric and lay out pattern pieces correctly
- How to cut fabric accurately
- How to apply interfacing to structure fabric and aid stability
- How to sew the dress with tuition along the way
What is included:
- Full individual use of Janome sewing machines
- Use of sewing tools
- Selection of sewing threads
- Elastic and interfacing
- Full tuition to make your garment
- Paper pattern and step by step instruction booklet worth £12.50
You will need to bring:
- Fabric : – 2m x 150cm wide i.e. if the fabric is 150cm wide you will need a maximum of 2.3m
or 3m x 115cm wide i.e. if the fabric is 115cm wide you will need a maximum of 3m
- Matching thread – there will be a selection of threads available for you to use but feel free to bring your own if you prefer.
- Optional – 2 x 1.5-2cm (5/8-3/4 inch) buttons for cuff tabs if you choose to sew that version.
Light to medium weight drapey fabrics such as viscose (rayon), cotton voile, lawn or chambray.
The drape is really important i.e. how the fabric hangs- you don’t want fabric that is too stiff as it won’t hang right around the bust/waist.
Please give me a call if you are in any doubt about fabric choices or suggestions of where to buy from.
It is recommeded to pre wash your fabric before the workshop as it is likely to shrink a little in the first wash.
Cost £60 – for the 2 sessions.
(This includes a paper pattern worth £12.50 to use in the class and take home with you to use again)
“I love the Bettine pattern. There are no fiddly fastenings or darts to worry about. It’s really comfortable, you can just chuck it on and your outfit is sorted! It looks great over tights or leggings in the Winter. I also wear mine with a long sleeved jersey top underneath to layer up. In a Summery lightweight fabric it would love gorgeous with flip flops, sandals or pumps. I have 2 Bettine dresses and have another one in the pipeline! Make sure you don’t get fabric that is too stiff – the fabric needs to have some drape in it i.e. needs to be a bit floppy so it hangs right!! It’s a great dress for showcasing quirky prints but if you don’t want to stress about matching stripes or patterns then choose a plain fabric or one with smallish print/a print that doesn’t require matching/lining up.”
Parts of descriptive text and images from Tilly and The Buttons with permission.
Bookings are closed for this workshop.
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at email@example.com or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.