Date - 06/05/2021 - 27/05/2021
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
**This workshop will be delivered virtually via the online video conferencing platform, Zoom. If you don’t already have a Zoom account, it is easy to set one up for free (basic package) via their website. Prior to the workshop I would email you the workshop joining instructions. Zoom allows 2 way communication between all participants and myself, allowing questions, feedback, demonstrations and conversation! It’s good fun and a great way to socialise with other people whilst sewing, during the pandemic restrictions.**
This workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before, can confidently thread the machine and bobbin and have sewn several projects before. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available. Please get in touch if you are not sure whether this is a suitable level for you.
Beginners dressmaking course –
Learn to sew an A-line skirt
Duration – 8 hours (split over 4 sessions)
You must be able to attend all 4 dates
Thursday 6th May 2021 10-12pm
Thursday 13th May 2021 10-12pm
Thursday 20th May 2021 10-12pm
Thursday 27th May 2021 10-12pm
This is a 4 week course aimed at:
- those who are beginning their dressmaking journey
- those who would like to refresh their skills
- those who would like to make a project over a longer amount of time to really get to grips with core techniques
- anyone who would like to learn to make an a-line skirt in a social setting (online in a small group)
Throughout the 4 weeks you will learn lots of essential dressmaking skills to take you right from measuring yourself accurately and reading a sewing pattern through to making a skirt, with lots of fun along the way!! The 4 week course aims to build your confidence in using a sewing machine and develop and progress your skills. With 4 consecutive weeks, 8 hours of sewing time in the group and lots of opportunity to practice techniques, it is an ideal opportunity to consolidate skills and really get to grips with dressmaking over a short period.
You will need to be able to use your sewing machine confidently in the basic stitches – straight stitch, reverse stitch and zig zag stitch and have made a few projects before (not necessarily any garments). Please get in touch if you are uncertain about whether or not it is for you.
The pattern we will be using is Kwik Sew K3877 and has a choice of 2 different lengths of skirt – below the knee and above the knee. It’s a really versatile skirt and looks good made up in a lighter weight fabric for Spring/Summer or corduroy/needlecord/lightweight denim for Autumn/Winter.
**Please note the size range of the pattern is:
Waist – ranging from smallest size approx 22.5″(57cm) to largest size approx 38″(97cm) maximum.
Please refer to the following blog post in order to measure your waist accurately.
Please get in touch if you are unsure whether or not this pattern is suitable for you.
Week 1: Dressmaking basics and practising of skills
- To measure yourself accurately
- To translate your body measurements and use the pattern tables to determine which size pattern to cut and how much fabric and notions to buy
- Sew darts
- Change feet on the sewing machine and use of the zipper foot
- Insert a standard (centred) zip
Week 2: Further development of dressmaking skills and preparation of pattern/fabric
Continue building on skills learnt in week one.
- To lengthen/shorten pattern pieces if required
- To select which pattern pieces to use
- Recognise common symbols and abbreviations used on sewing patterns
- To identify the selvedge and grainline of fabric and layout your pattern pieces correctly on the fabric
- To transfer pattern markings onto the fabric.
- To cut out of fabric accurately
- To apply interfacing to give structure to projects
Weeks 1 and 2 will prepare for the skirt project in weeks 3 and 4.
Weeks 3 and 4: Make an A-line skirt
Bring together all of the skills you have learnt in weeks 1 and 2 and add some more in order to make your A-line skirt!! An A-line is a classic skirt pattern and a perfect project for beginner dressmakers.
Additional skills you will learn:
- How to attach a waistband
- How to neatly sew on hooks and eyes
- How to machine or hand sew a hem
- Optional skill if confident and time allows – sewing an automatic buttonhole
What is included:
A kit containing the following will be sent to you prior to the workshop:
- Practise fabric and 2 x practise zips for week 1
- A-line skirt pattern (Kwik Sew K3877) for final skirt project worth £9.50.
What you need to supply:
- Materials for skirt project to include fabric, matching thread, zip and hook/eye. You will be advised on how much fabric to bring and what sort of fabric to choose prior to the course. Suitable fabrics will be cotton, needlecord, corduroy, lightweight denim/chambray.
Maximum of 6 spaces.
Once the supplies have been posted out, there will not be an option for a refund on the class.
“I am so excited to introduce this new course. With the course being run online, I have allowed plenty of time for people to practise skills and get to grips with core skills ready to make the skirt. It offers great value for money and the opportunity to learn within a safe and convenient environment whilst covid restrictions are still in place. People will really have lots of opportunity to learn, develop and progress their skills all within a sociable and friendly setting. Learning together is so much fun and people really benefit from the support of others and sharing ideas. An A-line skirt was the very first skirt I made for myself so I know it was a great start for me !!“
Bookings are closed for this workshop.
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.