Date - 04/11/2021 - 25/11/2021
9:30 am - 12:30 pm
**This workshop will be delivered virtually via the online video conferencing platform, Zoom. If you don’t already have a Zoom account, it is easy to set one up for free (basic package) via their website. Prior to the workshop I would email you the workshop joining instructions. Zoom allows 2 way communication between all participants and myself, allowing questions, feedback, demonstrations and conversation! It’s good fun and a great way to socialise with other people whilst sewing, during the pandemic restrictions.**
This workshop is suitable for those who are confident with their sewing machine and have made a few garments before. You will need to prepare your pattern pieces and cut out your fabric prior to the workshop (with a video to help). Please get in touch if you are not sure whether this is a suitable level for you.
Learn to sew a shirt – 4 week course
Duration – 12 hours (split over 4 sessions)
You must be able to attend all 4 dates
Thursday 4th November 2021 9.30am-12.30pm
Thursday 11th November 2021 9.30am-12.30pm
Thursday 18th November 2021 9.30am-12.30pm
Thursday 25th November 2021 9.30am-12.30pm
This is a 4 week course aimed at:
- those who would like to progress their dressmaking skills further
- those who would like to make a project over a longer amount of time to really get to grips with new techniques
- anyone who would like to learn to make a shirt in a social setting (online in a small group)
Prior to the workshop:
Students will prepare their pattern pieces and cut their fabric out prior to the workshop. Help with choosing your size and a video to guide you through this will be sent prior to the workshop.
Please get in touch if you are uncertain about whether or not it is for you.
The pattern we will be using is Simplicity 1538. There are several options for the shirt – for the workshop we will be making Version C. This is the standard long sleeved shirt with option of patch pockets.
**Please note the size range of the pattern is:
Full Bust – ranging from smallest size 30.5″(78cm) to largest size 44″(112cm) maximum.
Please refer to the following blog post in order to measure your bust accurately.
To view the pattern size chart see here.
Please get in touch if you are unsure whether or not this pattern is suitable for you.
You will learn:
- Stay stitching
- Sewing bust darts
- Neat top stitching
- Sewing optional patch pocket(s)
- Gathering stitches
- Burrito method of attaching a yoke
- Sleeve pleats and plackets
- Applying cuffs to sleeves
- Inserting sleeves with easing in method
- Buttonholes and attaching buttons using sewing machine (dependent on your sewing machine)
- Attaching collar and collar stand
What is included:
- Paper copy of the shirt pattern (Simplicity 1538)
What you need to supply:
- Fabric for shirt (1.3m-2m depending on size)
- Matching thread
- Suggested fabrics are cottons, batiks, calico, chambray, poplin
- I would advise you not to go for anything that would require pattern matching for your first version. You may also want to consider making your first version in calico or a cheaper test fabric and use this as an opportunity to test the fit and practise techniques.
- Eight 1/2” buttons
- Interfacing 1m lightweight fusible
Maximum of 6 spaces.
“I am so excited to introduce this new course. With the course being run online, I have allowed plenty of time for people to get to grips with new skills to make the shirt. I abs It is a perfect course for those wanting to progress their sewing skills further. I absolutely love my shirt and can see myself making it up on a whole variety of fabrics! Learning together is so much fun and people really benefit from the support of others and sharing ideas.”
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at email@example.com or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.