Date - 17/09/2021 - 24/09/2021
9:30 am - 12:30 pm
**This workshop will be delivered virtually via the online video conferencing platform, Zoom. If you don’t already have a Zoom account, it is easy to set one up for free (basic package) via their website. Prior to the workshop I would email you the workshop joining instructions. Zoom allows 2 way communication between all participants and myself, allowing questions, feedback, demonstrations and conversation! It’s good fun and a great way to socialise with other people whilst sewing, during the pandemic restrictions.**
Duration – 6 hours split over 2 sessions
This workshop will run on 2 dates. You must be able to attend both dates to complete the workshop.
Friday 17th September 2021 9.30am-12.30pm – 3 hours
Friday 24th September 2021 9.30am-12.30pm – 3 hours
This workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread the machine and bobbin. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available.
Learn how to sew with jersey fabrics and make a classic jersey top.
“Agnes is a close-fitting jersey top, speedy to sew and simple to fit, finished with a narrow band at the neckline. Choose from long or cropped sleeves; plain or ruched sleeves, scoop neckline or ruched sweetheart neckline. Irresistibly wearable and endlessly versatile, Agnes is destined to become a wardrobe staple that you’ll make again and again!”
You will learn:
- How to take essential body measurements and select your pattern size
- How to identify pattern pieces required
- How to lengthen/shorten pattern pieces if required
- How to accurately cut out pattern pieces
- How to identify the grainline of the fabric and lay out pattern pieces correctly
- How to cut stretch fabric accurately
- Top tips on how to sew with stretch fabric on a regular sewing machine
- How to stabilise necklines and hems on stretch garments
- How to sew elastic into garment to create ruching effect if that version chosen
- How to top stitch using a twin needle
What is included:
- Paper pattern and step by step instruction booklet worth £15.50 will be sent to you in advance of the workshop
You will need to provide:
- Fabric : – 1.5m x 147cm (58″) wide i.e. if the fabric is 147cm (58″) wide you will need a maximum of 1.5m (for all sizes)
or 1.5m x 115cm (45″) wide i.e. if the fabric is 115cm (45″) wide you will need a maximum of 1.5m (for sizes 1-5)
or 2.3m x 115cm (45″) wide (for sizes 6-8)
N.B. If you will be matching stripes/a pattern or if you think you may need to lengthen the top then you may need slightly more fabric.
- Matching thread
- 25cm (10″) x 6-8mm (1/4″) wide clear elastic, ribbon or stay tape to stabilise the shoulders
- Prym wonder tape (like this) or 0.5m stretch interfacing for finishing the neckline and hem
- Ballpoint/stretch needle/blue tipped needle for your sewing machine
- Optional : 0.5m (20″) x 5mm (1/8-1/4″) wide woven or braided elastic for the ruched sleeve and neckline
Light- to medium -weight stretch knit fabric ofs such as cotton jersey, viscose jersery or wool jersey. Check the fabric can be stretched crosswise at least 25% wider than it’s original width, and that it pings back down to size after stretching i.e. a 10cm section of fabric would stretch to at least 12.5cm and then ping back to 10cm.
Please give me a call/email me if you are in any doubt about fabric choices or suggestions of where to buy from.
It is recommended to pre wash your fabric before the workshop as it is likely to shrink a little in the first wash. Take care to dry the fabric as flat as possible – do not use pegs to hang down as the fabric will stretch out of shape.
(This includes a paper pattern worth £15.50 to use in the class and take home with you to use again)
“The Agnes top is a real wardrobe staple. I love these tops for layering. My second version I made longer and I love how it keeps my back warm (I have real problems with ready bought tops riding up at the back as they are too short!!) Both Agnes versions are gorgeous – I love the ruched sleeves – they look so effective and add a real edge to the top.”
A couple of my versions:
Bookings are closed for this workshop.
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.