Date - 04/10/2021
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Duration – 2 hours
This workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread the machine and bobbin. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available.
**This workshop will be delivered virtually via the online video conferencing platform, Zoom. If you don’t already have a Zoom account, it is easy to set one up for free (basic package) via their website. On the day of the workshop I would email you the workshop joining instructions. Zoom allows 2 way communication between all participants and myself, allowing questions, feedback, demonstrations and conversation! It’s good fun and a great way to socialise with other people whilst sewing, during this period of lockdown.**
Learn to sew with oilcloth
Come and learn the essential skills of sewing with oilcloth and make a fantastic zipped pouch.
Choose to make either of these fabulous pouch designs.
You will learn:
- Tools to cut out oilcloth accurately
- Top tips for how to sew with oilcloth
- Changing feet on the machine and use of the zipper foot
- How to insert a zip into oilcloth
- Top stitching
- Sewing gusset corners if sewing the ‘boxy’ pouches
Equipment and Materials:
- All materials included including oilcloth and zip
- Pieces of oilcloth to practise on
- Photographic handout of the skills learnt in the workshop will be sent via email after the class.
You will need:
- Masking tape (small amount) – like the tape you use in decorating – smooth, not shiny
- Optional – Rotary cutter/self healing mat/quilting ruler. (the fabric will arrive cut and ready to sew. These tools will be useful if you continue to sew with oilcloth but not essential for the class)
Once the supplies have been posted out, there will not be an option for a refund on the class.
For examples of previous workshop sewists’ projects, please see the gallery page here and look for Oilcloth zipped pouches.
“I’ve had several people ask me about sewing with oilcloth and how to do it. Once you learn some top tips about sewing with it, you can make a whole variety of projects with it – aprons, tote bags, placemats, peg bags. It’s a great fabric to use as it can be wiped clean. Come along and gain some confidence sewing with this versatile fabric!”
Please let me know:
- Type of pouch you would like to make from the 2 examples above (oblong boxy or triangular boxy shape)
- Your first choice and second choice fabrics from the selection below
I cannot guarantee that choice will be available but I do have quite a bit of each fabric. Once you have chosen please email me at email@example.com. The zip will be white.
If you would like to use your own oil cloth, that is of course fine. I can still send you a zip.
You will also need some masking tape for the class (only a small amount).
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.