Date - 22/06/2020
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Duration – 2 1/2 hours
This workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread the machine and bobbin. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available.
**This workshop will be delivered virtually via the online video conferencing platform, Zoom. If you don’t already have a Zoom account, it is easy to set one up for free (basic package) via their website. On the day of the workshop I would email you the workshop joining instructions. Zoom allows 2 way communication between all participants and myself, allowing questions, feedback, demonstrations and conversation! It’s good fun and a great way to socialise with other people whilst sewing, during this period of lockdown.**
Quilting and patchwork: an introduction
Come and learn the essential basic skills of quilting and make a pretty patchwork sampler.
You will learn:
- What materials and equipment you will need in order to make a quilt
- How to cut fabric pieces accurately using a rotary wheel, quilting ruler and self healing mat
- How to piece squares together accurately to make your sample topper
- How to layer your quilt sampler together to prepare for the quilting stage
- How to quilt your sample with a simple design
- How to make your own quilt binding
- How to bind your quilt sampler using the sewing machine and by hand
- How to sew a perfect mitred corner
You will make a quilt sampler that is a 3 X 3 square block (approx size 11.5″ x 11.5″) This would make a pretty wall hanging or mat to display flowers on/ornaments.
Equipment and Materials:
- All materials included – these will be sent out to you in advance
- Photographic handout of the skills learnt in the workshop will be emailed to you after the class
Feel free to use a selection of your own fat quarters/scraps if you would like to use your own fabric.
Once the supplies have been posted out, there will not be an option for a refund on the class.
“Patchwork and quilting can be extremely therapeutic and satisfying. This workshop is perfect for getting you started and will teach you the essential skills you would need to be able to go on and make your first quilt. Be warned – it can get addictive!!”
The bias binding provided for the edging will be plain white. The wadding (batting) required will also be sent to you.
The choices for the backing fabric are:
white, lilac, pale blue or pale pink
You will also need some fabric squares for the patchwork front. You will need 9 squares of 4.5″ x 4.5″. Scraps of fabric or fat quarters would be ideal. You could have 9 different fabrics or as a minimum you could have 4 of one design and 5 of another.
If you would like me to send you some scraps of fabric to use for the front then please let me know.
So I need to know:
- choice of colour for the backing fabric
- whether or not you would like some scraps for the patchwork front
Once you have chosen please email me at email@example.com and I will confirm whether it is available.
This workshop is fully booked.
To add your name to the waiting list or be contacted about future classes get in touch today.