Date - 15/11/2021 - 22/11/2021
9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Duration – 6 hours split over 2 sessions
This workshop will run on 2 dates. You must be able to attend both dates to complete the workshop.
Monday 15th November 2021 9.30am-12.30pm- 3 hours
Monday 22nd November 2021 9.30am-12.30pm- 3 hours
This workshop is suitable for those with basic machine skills (able to thread the machine, wind a bobbin, sew a straight stitch).
**This workshop will be delivered virtually via the online video conferencing platform, Zoom. If you don’t already have a Zoom account, it is easy to set one up for free (basic package) via their website. On the day of the workshop I would email you the workshop joining instructions. Zoom allows 2 way communication between all participants and myself, allowing questions, feedback, demonstrations and conversation! It’s good fun and a great way to socialise with other people whilst sewing, during this period of lockdown.**
Sew a quilted Christmas table runner
This workshop will teach you how to make a beautiful, festive, quilted table runner. It is suitable for those who are both beginners at patchwork and quilting and for those who have previously done my Introduction to patchwork and quilting course. Even for those that can already quilt, it is a fabulous opportunity to enjoy some therapeutic, sociable sewing alongside others and get in the festive mood!
You will learn:
- What materials and equipment you will need in order to make a quilt
- How to cut fabric pieces accurately using a rotary wheel, quilting ruler and self healing mat
- How to cut and sew triangle squares
- How to arrange triangle squares effectively to create different design blocks
- How to piece squares together accurately to make your quilt topper
- How to layer your quilt sampler together to prepare for the quilting stage
- How to quilt your sample with a simple design
- How to make your own quilt binding
- How to bind your quilt sampler using the sewing machine and by hand
- How to sew a perfect mitred corner
The finished size of your runner will be up to you but the maximum finished size achievable would be approximately 130cm x 30cm (51″ x 12″).
N.B. Although this is advertised as a Christmas table runner workshop, designs are not limited to Christmas at all – anything is possible, you choose!
Please have a think about your design in advance of the workshop and try and have a plan before the workshop. This will save time on the day.
In my sampler I used a variety of different design blocks. You could just choose 1 of these and repeat the design or use a variety of designs as I did.
The following supplies will be sent to you prior to the workshop:
- Fabric for the quilt backing in red or green.
- Photographic handout of the skills learnt in the workshop will be emailed to you after the class
You will also need:
- 2 packs of fat quarters (I made the sample runner from 1 pack of fat quarters (total 5 fat quarters). I would however, recommend you get 2 packs just in case as it was close!
- Good quality thread
Optional pieces of equipment (you can manage without these but in case you wanted to have)
- Optional – rotary cutter, quilting ruler, self healing mat
- Optional – walking foot (even feed foot) compatible with your sewing machine
Marking tool e.g. Tailor’s chalk, heat erasable pen.
Sewing machine pre threaded with thread colour of your choice
Once the supplies have been posted out, there will not be an option for a refund on the class.
“I absolutely loved making my Christmas table runner, it really made me feel festive. It was so therapeutic and I can’t wait to have it on the table in December. There are so many options for designs, each one can be totally unique. I know it will last for years to come so it’s a great investment in time and cost – year on year you can look forward to getting it out of the Christmas box! I also think this would be a great project for all year round in different fabrics!”
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.