Date - 02/02/2019
2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Knowle Village Hall, Solihull
Duration – 3 1/2 hours
For children in Year 4 and above.
Come and spend some quality time with your child on a Saturday afternoon and learn how to make a girl’s skirt together. Encourage your child to be creative, unleash your creativity and learn a fantastic skill together at the same time. By choosing your own fabric you can make your own bespoke skirt – one of a kind that none of their friends will have!! This skirt has an elasticated waistband so no tricky fastenings to deal with. You can embellish your skirt with a trim along the hem to make it really stand out – just see the pictures below for some options.
This workshop is designed to be a joint activity with parents and children – the parent will remain present at the workshop throughout and participate in the activity/be prepared to support their child e.g. using the iron.
How it will work:
- Each parent and child couple will share a machine and make a girl’s skirt together under Lorna’s guidance. Tuition on the safe use of the sewing machines will be included and support from Lorna along the way. The parent will be in charge of using the iron and how you share the rest is up to you!
- You will choose your fabric in advance and bring it along with you.
- There will be a break for tea/coffee/soft drinks and biscuits.You will learn:
- how to create a casing for an elastic waistband
- an easy method of inserting elastic into the waistband
- neat finishing of raw edges inside with zig zag stitch
- how to sew a simple double-fold hem
Equipment and Materials:
- Janome sewing machines and basic sewing tools provided to use.
- Elastic provided for the elasticated waist.
- Photographic instruction sheet provided in order to repeat the project at home.
- Tea/Coffee/soft drinks/biscuits included.
Other points to note:
- Finger guards will be fitted to the sewing machines which help prevent fingers getting too close to the sewing needle
- Due to health and safety, other siblings will not be able to be accommodated in the workshop area.
- The child will remain the responsibility of their parent at all times.
What you need to bring:
- 1.0m fabric of your choice (at least 45″/115cm wide)- cotton or polyester/cotton works best for this project. If in any doubt about fabric choice please contact me so I can advise you further.
- Selection of machine threads available to use but you may wish to bring your own to match your fabric.
- Any trimmings you wish to use e.g. ribbon, ric-rac
- Waist measurements and desired length of skirt of recipient
Cost £30 per couple (i.e. parent/child)
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at email@example.com or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.