Date - 03/05/2019 - 21/06/2019
9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Lapworth Village Hall, Lapworth
Beginners sewing and dressmaking course
Duration – 6 weeks
Dates: (please check dates carefully as they are not consecutive weeks, it is 6 weeks over an 8 week period)
Friday 3rd May 2019
Friday 10th May 2019
Friday 24th May 2019
Friday 7th June 2019
Friday 14th June 2019
Friday 21st June 2019
This is a 6 week course aimed at beginners and refreshers. Throughout the 6 weeks you will learn lots of essential sewing skills to take you right from learning the basics of the sewing machine, through to making a skirt with lots of fun along the way!! You will make a variety of projects throughout the course to practice your new skills, all to take home and show off! The 6 week course aims to build your confidence in using a sewing machine and develop and progress your skills. With 6 consecutive weeks and a massive 18 hours of sewing, it is an ideal opportunity to consolidate skills and really get to grips with sewing over a short period.
Week 1: Sewing machine basics and learn to make a cushion cover
Learn how to thread the machine, wind the bobbin, sew basic machine stitches (straight stitch, back stitch, zig zag) and simple trouble shooting tips. Put these skills into practice by making an envelope cushion cover.
Week 2: Consolidation of sewing machine skills and learn to make a tote bag with pocket
Continue building on skills learnt in week one. Learn about different seams and use a French seam to make a simple tote bag with internal/external pocket.
This simple tote bag is perfect for light shopping, folders or newspapers and for folding up into your handbag for those spontaneous trips to the shops. You could also choose to make a smaller bag for a little person in your life – just the right size for carrying their favourite toy or random bits and bobs that they tend to collect! They would make gorgeous gifts too! Customise for male/female/young/old by just choosing the right fabric.
Week 3: Learn how to insert a zip and make a zipped pouch
Learn how to insert a zip using a zipper foot and make a gorgeous lined zipped pouch. Choose from 3 different styles and a selection of fabrics to suit your style and the intended use. These zipped pouches can be used for literally anything – stationery, sewing kit, make up, board game pieces, playing cards, jewellery…….
They would make a fantastic personalised gift for someone.
You will learn:
- Cutting out of fabric accurately
- applying interfacing to give structure to projects
- Changing feet on the machine and use of the zipper foot
- Inserting a zip
- Attaching a lining to the pouch
- Top stitching
- Sewing gusset corners if sewing the ‘boxy’ pouch
Week 4: Understanding commercial patterns
This week will be all about commercial sewing patterns which can be very confusing and baffling if you haven’t used one before.
You will learn:
- How to measure yourself accurately
- How to translate your body measurements and use the pattern tables to determine how which size pattern to cut and how much fabric and notions to buy
- How to select which pattern pieces to use
- Common symbols and abbreviations used on sewing patterns
- How to identify the selvedge and grainline of fabric and layout your pattern pieces correctly on the fabric
- Methods used to transfer pattern markings onto the fabric.
This session will prepare for the skirt project in weeks 5 and 6.
Weeks 5 and 6: Make a skirt
Bring together all of the skills you have learnt in weeks 1-4 and add some more!! Learn some new dressmaking skills and make an A-line skirt! An a-line is a classic skirt pattern and a perfect project for beginner dressmakers.
Additional skills you will learn:
- How to lengthen/shorten pattern pieces if required
- How to sew darts
- How to attach a waistband
- How to insert a standard zipper
What is included:
- Janome sewing machines and basic sewing tools provided to use
- Fabric and all materials included for weeks 1-3 (you are welcome to bring your own along if suitable)
- Photographic step by step handouts with instructions to repeat the projects at home
- A-line skirt pattern for final skirt project worth £14.50. If this pattern is not the right size for you then another suitable alternative one will be sourced.
What you need to bring:
- Materials for final skirt project to include fabric, matching thread, zip and button. You will be advised on how much fabric to bring and what sort of fabric to choose during the course.
**This course needs a minimum of 3 people to run.**
Maximum of 6 spaces.
You need to be able to attend all 6 sessions.
There may be slight variations to the projects introduced along the way to enhance the quality of the experience and adapt to indiviual’s needs.
“I am so excited to introduce this new course. It offers great value for money and combines several of my popular workshops all into a 6 week ‘intense course’. People will really have lots of opportunity to learn, develop and progress their skills all within a sociable and friendly setting. Learning together is so much fun and people really benefit from the support of others and sharing ideas. To be able to start right from the beginning as a sewing newbie or refresher, and end 6 weeks later by having made a skirt is very exciting. An a-line skirt was the very first skirt I made for myself 4 years ago so I know it was a great start for me !!“
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at email@example.com or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.