Date - 11/03/2022 - 18/03/2022
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
1745 Warwick Road, Knowle, Solihull
Learn to sew a pair of pyjama trousers
The learn to sew a pair of pyjama trousers workshop is suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread the machine and bobbin. If you need a beginners class or a refresher then have a look at beginners classes available or get in touch for a 1 to 1 session.
It is an ideal first dressmaking project or for those that haven’t sewn following a pattern before.
The learn to sew a pair of pyjama trousers class will be run over 2 sessions. You must be able to attend both dates to complete the workshop.
Friday 11th March 2022 10-12.30pm – 2.5 hours
Friday 18th March 2022 10-12.30pm – 2.5 hours
This workshop will take place at the new All About The Sew sewing studio in Knowle, Solihull. For further info on the studio see here.
The 2 part class will use the Tilly and the Buttons Jaimie pyjama trouser pattern.
“Jaimie is an ideal first sewing project for newbies, or a quick and satisfying make for existing stitch addicts. Choose between full-length pyjama bottoms or flirty boyfriend shorts, with optional drawstring detail. The low-rise, elasticated waist and relaxed-fit leg make these PJs oh so comfy to wear. You’ll never want to get dressed when you’re wearing your Jaimie jammies!” (taken from the Tilly and the Buttons website)
You will learn how to:
- Take essential body measurements and select your pattern size
- Identify pattern pieces required
- Lengthen/shorten pattern pieces if required
- Accurately cut out pattern pieces
- Sew an elasticated waistband
- Identify the grainline of the fabric and lay out pattern pieces correctly
- Follow a commercial sewing pattern
- Sew automatic buttonholes (this is an optional extra for the drawstring version. If you want to keep it simple leave those out)
For more confident sewists, there is an option to add in seam pockets.
What is included:
- Paper pattern and step by step instruction booklet worth £13.00 (this will be sent to you prior to the workshop).
- Full tuition in order to make your garment
The Jaimie sewing pattern is sized between UK sizes 4-24. Size 4 is an XS size which is perfect for tweens and teenagers. Tilly and the Buttons have also added sizes 9 and 10 to several of their patterns (UK 22 and 24), increasing their size range even further.
For a larger image of the sizing chart please see here.
You will need to measure yourself in order to know how much fabric to get. You cannot compare to high street sizes. Please get in touch if you are uncertain.
You will need to measure your waist, hip and inside leg. Please refer to my blog post on measuring yourself accurately for help with the waist and hip measurements.
You will need to get:
For 115cm/45″ wide fabrics you will need 1m for all sizes
For 150cm/60″ wide fabrics you will need 1m for all sizes
For 115cm/45″ wide fabrics you will need 2.5m for all sizes
For 150cm/60″ wide fabrics, Sizes 0-3: 1.7m, Sizes 4-6: 2.1m, Sizes 7-10: 2.5m
- 25mm (1″) wide elastic – the length of your low waist measurement (where your shorts or pyjamas are likely to sit)
- For the drawstring version you will need a machine that sews buttonholes with a buttonhole foot, a small scrap of iron on (fusible) interfacing and either ribbon/cord or some of your main fabric to make the drawstring.
- Optional – trim to go round the bottom of the shorts or trousers e.g. ric rac, ribbon, pom poms
Light- to medium-weight woven fabrics such as cotton lawn, shirting, “quilting cotton”, flannel, double gauze and viscose (rayon).
Please give me a call if you are in any doubt about fabric choices or suggestions of where to buy from.
It is recommended to pre wash your fabric before the workshop as it is likely to shrink a little in the first wash.
Cost £60- for the 2 sessions.
“This is a pattern that I was so excited to see being released. We all need pyjamas and how amazing to make your own where you can choose just the right fabric you like and make them to fit you. Whether you need to make them shorter or longer, with pockets, shorts….anything is possible! I love my Jaimie pyjama trousers and have made several pairs of shorts for teenagers including one pair that uses mix and match fat quarters.”
Bookings are closed for this workshop.
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at email@example.com or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.