Date - 18/01/2020
2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Knowle Village Hall, Solihull
Duration – 3 1/2 hours
This workshop is suitable for children with basic machine skills – they need to have either been on a parent/child sewing workshop before or have used a sewing machine before. There will only be a quick refresher of the machine at the beginning, not full tuition. If you need a beginners workshop or are less confident, there is one suitable for beginners on the same date but in the morning (see here)
Learn to sew an upcycled denim wall organiser
Come and spend some quality time with your child on a Saturday afternoon and make a fantastic upcycled denim wall organiser together. Encourage your child to be creative, unleash your creativity and learn a fantastic skill together at the same time.
This project is a fabulous way to turn an old pair of jeans into something practical and give them a new lease of life!! Learn how to sew with denim, how to use a stitch unpicker safely and create something completely unique! It’s a great way to store bits and bobs and display your favourite things. Being creative, having fun and helping the environment at the same time – what’s not to love?!
For children in Year 4 and above.
This workshop is designed to be a joint activity with parents and children – the parent will remain present at the workshop throughout and participate in the activity/be prepared to support their child e.g. using the iron.
How it will work:
- Each parent and child couple will share a machine and make the upcycled denim wall organiser together under Lorna’s guidance. Tuition on the safe use of the sewing machines will be included and support from Lorna along the way. The parent will be in charge of using the iron and how you share the rest is up to you!
- You bring your own pair of jeans suitable to upcycle into the project and any other trims or patches that you may wish to add.
- There will be a break for tea/coffee/soft drinks and biscuits.
Equipment and Materials:
- Janome sewing machines and basic sewing tools provided to use.
- Tea/Coffee/soft drinks/biscuits included.
What you need to bring:
A pair of jeans suitable to upcycle – an adult pair would work best.
Any trims, patches or buttons that you may wish to add to the project.
What is provided:
Threads, coat hanger
Other points to note:
- This workshop can be enjoyed by girls and boys alike.
- Finger guards will be fitted to the sewing machines which help prevent fingers getting too close to the sewing needle
- Due to health and safety, other siblings will not be able to be accommodated in the workshop area.
- The child will remain the responsibility of their parent at all times.
Cost £30 per couple (i.e. parent/child)
“I absolutely loved making this project! It is such a good way to transform an old pair of jeans and make something practical out of them. It was very therapeutic ripping them up, deciding what parts to use and then creating something completely unique with them! It’s great for storing bits and bobs in and displaying some of your favourite things! “
Click on the images to see bigger versions of them.
This workshop is fully booked.
To add your name to the waiting list or be contacted about future classes get in touch today.