Date - 29/06/2019
2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Knowle Village Hall, Solihull
Duration – 3.5 hours
This workshop is suitable for children with basic machine skills – they need to have either been on a parent/child sewing workshop before or have used a sewing machine before. There will only be a quick refresher of the machine at the beginning, not full tuition. If you need a beginners workshop or are less confident, there is one suitable for beginners on the same date but in the morning (see here).
Learn how to sew a pencil case
Come and spend some quality time with your child on a Saturday afternoon and make a pencil case together. Encourage your child to be creative, unleash your creativity and learn a fantastic skill together at the same time.
For children in Year 4 and above.
This workshop is designed to be a joint activity with parents and children – the parent will remain present at the workshop throughout and participate in the activity/be prepared to support their child e.g. using the iron.
Learn how to insert a zip using a zipper foot and make a gorgeous lined zipped pouch. Choose from a selection of fabrics to suit your style and the intended use. These zipped pouches can be used for literally anything – stationery, sewing kit, make up, board game pieces, playing cards, jewellery…….
They would make a fantastic personalised gift for someone and a fantastic end of year thank you gift for teachers!!!
You will learn:
- Cutting out of fabric accurately
- applying interfacing to give structure to projects
- Changing feet on the machine and use of the zipper foot
- Inserting a zip
- Attaching a lining to the pouch
- Top stitching
How it will work:
- Each parent and child couple will share a machine and make a pencil case together under Lorna’s guidance.
- There will be a break for tea/coffee/soft drinks and biscuits.
Equipment and Materials:
- Janome sewing machines and basic sewing tools provided to use.
- All fabric and materials for the project are included.
- Tea/Coffee/soft drinks/biscuits included.
Other points to note:
- This workshop can be enjoyed by girls and boys alike. There will be a selection of fabrics available that will hopefully appeal to all.
- Finger guards will be fitted to the sewing machines which help prevent fingers getting too close to the sewing needle
- Due to health and safety, other siblings will not be able to be accommodated in the workshop area.
- The child will remain the responsibility of their parent at all times.
Cost £30 per couple (i.e. parent/child)
“A lot of people are daunted at the prospect of inserting a zip. This is a great class to have a practice inserting a standard zipper and then put those skills into practice by making a gorgeous zipped pouch. Choose from a whole host of lovely fabrics. This would make a fantastic project to make for gifts, or even just yourself!! How about making one for your teacher and fill it with useful stationery as an end of term thank you gift?!”
Bookings are closed for this workshop.
Alternative payment to website payment:
If you would prefer to pay by cash, cheque or BACS payment then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a ring on 07963 734756 with the following details:
Contact telephone number:
Workshop(s) you would like to book onto:
How you heard about All About The Sew:
I will then be in contact with alternative payment details. Please be aware that a workshop place can only be secured when payment is received so please act promptly to avoid disappointment if wanting to pay via one of these methods.Kind Regards
All About The Sew
To find out more get in touch today.